Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Meat & Potatoes, Please!!!

My belly is so full! I cooked the tastiest roast and lets just say... I gorged! Yeah, I have a way of doing things like that. Over-indulging is my middle name!

Last week I told my husband to pick up some "dinner meats" from the grocery store. What I got was a 2 lb eye of round roast. Now, since I'm fairly new to cooking (and loving every minute of it), I don't really know much about cuts of meat. Only that I like to eat them. I guess I should do some research. Anyway, in the end I did realize that it's a tougher cut but it didn't really matter... because it was TASTY!!!

Look at it, isn't it beautiful?!!


We'll call this Herb-Rubbed Eye of Round Roast with Red Potatoes and Onions :)

Ingredients
  • 1 - 2 lb eye of round roast (or any other roasting meat)
  • 2 1/2 tsps kosher salt
  • 2 1/2 tsps paprika
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 4 red potatoes, quartered
  • 1 yellow onion, quartered
Directions

In a small bowl, mix all of the spices and olive oil. Let sit for 10 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Next you can prepare one of two ways... 1) Place in 13x9 baking dish, add potatoes and onions to surround the roast then pour spice mixture all over meat, then rub it in to make sure the whole cut is completely covered. Or - my personal favorite - 2) Prepare the same as number one BUT do so in an oven bag. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE Reynold's Oven Bags! Not only do they not make your bakeware super messy but they also allow you to do whatever you want instead of standing at the oven constantly basting. That would drive me insane! I highly recommend Preparation #2.

Roast for about 1 1/4 hours for a nice medium rare center. Remove from oven and cover with a little aluminum foil and let set for 15 minutes before slicing. (By the way, I don't slice... I leave that job to my husband!)

So, if you're a meat and potatoes kind of person, then I highly recommend! The herb rub made both the meat and potatoes super flavorful!

~Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design by Designer Blogs